10 May Top 6 Badass Hybrid Sportcars
Economic hardships and the strain on the environment have made people change the way things are done. As a result, we tend to focus more on price and the effects on the earth, when making purchases. This is now true for sports cars with the introduction of hybrid sportscars. Typically sports cars are thought of as powerful gas houses that are known more for their speed and looks than their money and fuel saving prowess. Now, you can drive your sports car and still be good to the environment and even more, save on gas.
1. Fisker Karma – This is one of the more sleeker designed hybrid sportscars. Though it’s a hybrid, it operates as an electric car. There are two modes, Stealth which is powered by the battery and Sport which uses the 255-hp turbo four-cylinder motor and goes from 0-60 mph in 5.8 seconds. In stealth mode it gets 50 mpg. The interior is as stunning as the exterior. It has a hefty price tag of $95,000.
2. Honda CR-Z – Japan’s 2010 car of the year is an inexpensive hybrid sports car with prices starting at $19,549. It has 122-hp and three modes – sport, normal, and econ. The Honda CR-Z gets 35/39 mpg city/highway.
3. BMW ActiveHybrid 3 & 5 – These two hybrids are compact and mid-size respectively and have the same powertrain with a 300-hp turbo and a 40-kw electric motor. The single-motor hybrid tops out at 155 mph and the model 3 goes from 0-62 mph in about 5 seconds.
4. Ford Fusion and Fusion Energi – Its rated by the EPA at 46 mpg and has a combined power of 188-hp. The Energi is the plug-in model and both have up to 20 miles in full-electric mode.
5. Porsche Panamera S Hybrid – The price on this rivals the Karma at $95,000 and in other ways also. It goes from 0-60 in 5.7 with a top speed of 167 mph. It uses the electric motor and gas engine to drive.
6. Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid – The promised gas mileage is 45 mpg and doesn’t use diesel fuel. This will be the first hybrid sports car in the U.S. and has 150-hp and a 1.4l four-cylinder engine. It goes from 0-60 in nearly nine seconds and will be priced from $24,995.
Other hybrid sportscars to look out for are the concept hybrids, which include:
- Lexus LF-LC
- Jaguar C-X75
- BMW i8
- Jaguar C-X16
- Honda NS-X
- Volvo XC60
Your need for the feeling of power and beauty that is encompassed by a sports car can be found in a green option. The hybrid sportscars that are available now and the concepts for the future are proof that green and economic living can be sporty, sexy, and fun.